Friday, July 24, 2009

Kanye West - The College Dropout (February 10, 2004)


Kanye West - The College Dropout

And for our second album review, I have decided to listen to the first album of my favorite MC that debuted in the last decade or so.

Kanye West began his career in hip-hop as a producer, making beats for artists such as dead prez, Mase, Beanie Sigel, Lil' Kim, and more, all before he got his first production credit on a Jay-Z album. Before College Dropout, West was mostly known as "that guy who produces for Jay-Z." After producing "This Can't Be Life" off The Dynasty: Roc La Familia, an album that, followed by The Blueprint 2 and Kingdom Come (this isn't counting the R. Kelly and Linkin Park collabs).

After that, Kanye West produced five songs off Hov's The Blueprint, including The Takeover, a track that caused Nas to respond with Ether, the song that restarted his career. After that, Kanye West was hot property, producing for artists such as Cam'ron, Scarface, Trina, Talib Kweli, Fabolous, Beyonce, T.I., DMX, and more.

Eventually, Kanye was able to convince Jay to get a guest feature on his track "The Bounce" from The Blueprint 2. And if that track had been the deciding point of his career, I highly doubt we'd hear his debut album, as that verse was shit. But, I digress...

There was also another factor that almost caused us to not here his debut album. On October 22nd, 2002, Kanye West drove home from the recording studio and was in a near-fatal crash. Kanye lived, but his jaw was wired shut. However, that didn't stop Kanye, who decided to record... with his fucking jaw wired shut. "Through the Wire" was released in 2003 and pretty much convinced Roc-A-Fella to sign him to a deal and allow him to release his solo debut.

Goddamn, that was boring. Let's go into the album...

1. Intro
A quick 19 second intro featuring DeRay Davis of Wild 'N Out fame. It basically serves as an introduction to the first song of the album...

2. We Don't Care
Produced by Kanye West

A decent, "nothing-special" song. However, it's a good introduction. "They favorite 50 Cent song 12 Questions" makes me chuckle every damn time.

3. Graduation Day (feat. John Legend)
Once again, Deray Davis makes an appearance, however, this time, he's accompanied by John Legend and Miri Ben-Ari. The two do a quick interlude before we go into the second single (third if you count Slow Jamz).

4. All Falls Down (feat. Syleena Johnson)
Produced by Kanye West
we goAs you know, Syleena Johnson appears here to sing an interpolation of Lauryn Hill's "Mystery of Iniquity." I'm like 99% sure there's a version on the interbutts featuring the actual sample of Lauryn Hill's vocals that Kanye originally wanted. This is a good song. One that has a good music video, if only because it assured me that Kel Mitchell is still alive (at least in 2004).

5. I'll Fly Away
Yes, another interlude. This time, Kanye brings Tony Williams (whoever he is) to song over Ervin Pope (whoeverhe is) playing the piano. Leads into this next song...

6. Spaceship (feat. Consequence & GLC)
Produced by Kanye West

I love this song. The first credited appearance of GLC (Wiki says he also appeared on Encore by Jay) and the first guest feature of Consequence since Beats, Rhymes, & Life by A Tribe Called Quest. Listening to this song makes me look forward to GLC's Love, Life, & Loyalty which is supposed to come out this year. Despite releasing three singles (two featuring Kanye), it doesn't look like it's coming out soon. And it makes me want to go listen to the two Cons mixtapes I have (A Tribe Called Quence & Take 'Em to the Cleaners).

7. Jesus Walks
Produced by Kanye West
The third most-successful single from the album (including Slow Jamz). Also received a Grammy for Best Rap Song. Despite I'm not a very religious person, I really like this song. One thing, I highly doubt this song has really converted any atheists, as Kanye said he wants it to. And he pulls some Twista out with the line "They say you can rap about anything except for Jesus."

8. Never Let Me Down (feat. Jay-Z & J. Ivy)
Produced by Kanye West
As thanks for producing a lot of the early 2000s Jay-Z songs we here, Jay-Z hops on this track for two verses (I believe the final one was one he recorded for a song on The Blueprint that was cut and tossed on here, but I could (and probably am) wrong). Jay doesn't really sound inspired on the first verse, as if he's reluctantly spitting. I like Kanye's verse. Then J. Ivy jumps on and begins spitting a spoken-word poem, one which is fucking awesome, and one I actually enjoy better without the beat. Then Jay's possibly-tacked-on-verse is next, which he actually sounds interested, probably because he wanted it on his own album...?

9. Get 'Em High (feat. Talib Kweli & Common)
Produced by Kanye West
This makes four great songs in a row now. Kanye brings what some would call a conscious hip-hop dream team along with him. Talib's verse is great, while Common's is a bit... startling? Not really the best word, but it doesn't matter, what I'm trying to say is Common rhymes slow compared to Kanye and Talib. Still good though, just a bit awkward...

10. Workout Plan
A skit designed to lead us into this next song...

11. The New Workout Plan
Produced by Kanye West
This song is really, really weird. It was the final single, and also had a remix featuring Twista and Fonsworth Bentley (wasn't he supposed to release an album?). I used to like this two years ago, however, nowadays, I'm not feeling it... However... "rode a plane, rode a plane, rode a plane."

12. Slow Jamz (feat. Twista & Jamie Foxx)
Produced by Kanye West
Really a Twista song, but since it went #1 on the charts, Kanye decided to put it on his album (and make it nearly two minutes longer) to help bump up the sales. Did it work? Probably. Aisha Tyler makes an appearance when she and Kanye both introduce Twista's first verse, by making it appear as if Kanye's fucking Aisha, only to give her over to Twista. Is it weird? Yes. This also makes me realize, I can't fucking understand Twista, unless I read lyrics while listening to the song... ANYWAY. This is a good song.... yeah.

13. Breathe In, Breathe Out (feat. Ludacris)
Produced by Kanye West

For whatever reason, Ludacris hops on the track to the chorus. This is presumably to entice buyers into thinking it was Stand Up 2: Stand Harder. Back when I first listened to this, I was a big fan of Luda, and this song just pissed me off. All in all, this is a really boring song.

14. School Spirit Skit 1
Boring skit.

15. School Spirit
Produced by Kanye West
A meh track. I was interested when I noticed the first two lines are repeated by T-Pain in "Good Life" off Graudation. But... meh.

16. School Spirit Skit 2
See track #14.

17. Lil' Jimmy Skit
Two skits in a row? What the fuck?

18. Two Words (feat. Mos Def, Freeway, & The Harlem Boys Choir)
Produced by Kanye West
An interesting concept. Sounds pretty good. Probably one of my favorites on the album. Anyway... that's all I have to say.

19. Through the Wire
Produced by Kanye West
The first single, spit through a wired jaw. It's a good song, but compared to other songs on the album... no, no.

20. Family Business
Produced by Kanye West
I really like this song. No idea why, but it's one of my favorite on the entire album.

21. Last Call
Produced by Kanye West & Evidence
Did you see that? A song that isn't 100% produced by Kanye! SHOCKING! Evidence would obviously be the Evidence from Dilated Peoples, but, anyway. Kanye spits a quick verse, followed by a longer one, which I feel that I've heard before (probably because they've been used on mixtapes). Then Kanye decides to put the length of this track up to near 13 minutes with a LONG fucking outro that you'll probably skip (I know I did).

CONCLUSION: A good album, one that NEEDED to be a good. If it wasn't, then Roc-A-Fella probably would've cut it's costs and tried to convince Kanye to go back to being a producer, only. However, I feel Kanye topped this with Late Registration and (dare I say?) Graudation (yes, I said it). I suggest you go buy this in an effort to convince Kanye to go back to rapping and leave autotune (even though, I do like 808s & Heartbreak).

One more post coming tonight. Next review coming tomorrow (or tonight if I'm bored).

No comments:

Post a Comment