Friday, July 24, 2009

Track Reviews #1: Crooked I, Jay-Z, Kid Cudi, Royce da 5'9", & 2Pac

Introducing the first of several "gimmick" posts, I'll have, I'm introducing Track Reviews. Yes, I know. Very creative name, right? Basically, what I'll be doing here is reviewing random tracks that came out in the past week/24 hours. This one is based around the tracks that came out today, since a lot of shit dropped. We have two Crooked I tracks, the first Jay-Z single, a Kid Cudi joint, a Royce joint, and fifteen unreleased Pac tracks (I only have two).

Let's go in...

Crooked I - 8-11
Crooked jumps on 50 Cent's "Ok, You're Right" (produced by Dr. Dre). At the beginning, Crooked talks about installing a studio on the tour bus to release a track every week (Hip Hop Weekly: Part 2?). As Slaughterhouse fans know, the title is obviously a reference to the Slaughterhouse debut (an album I'm gonna cop and one you need to). In the middle of the song, the beat stops and all you hear is a siren, while Crooked references the short-lived Slaughterhouse/Inspectah Deck feud that went on for a minute. The beat starts back up and Crook goes back in. A really good track, got me looking forward to Slaughterhouse's debut and to the possible Hip Hop Weekly 2.

Crooked I - 8-11 (Pt. 2)
So, I had just finished up the first edition of Track Reviews when I decided to hop on NahRight to make sure I got everything. Turns out, I didn't. 14 more unreleased Pac joints are out there, plus Crooked I released a second 8-11, this time over a local producer called Qwest. One thing I noticed immediately was "The House of the Rising Sun" sample which is pretty prevelent through the whole song. The beat's more mellow than "Ok, You're Right," which is actually better. I think part 2 is better than the original. "I just sit and watch the internet ride rapper's dicks, giving 'em five stars, I kill 'em in five bars." Best line. Once again, Slaughterhouse drops August 11th. Cop it.

Jay-Z - Run This Town (feat. Rihanna & Kanye West)
Produced by Kanye, this is the first REAL single from The Blueprint 3, replacing "Off That" with Drake. This is one I've been waiting for, a Jay/Kanye collabo on a Jay album (not counting "The Bounce," which sucked). Rihanna's on the hook and sounds good. This along with "D.O.A." really has me looking forward to The Blueprint 3. I've heard Kanye and Rihanna refered to as Jay's little bro and little sis respectively and I actually agree with that. I've also heard a lot of people claiming Kanye was better than Jay on this song. I'd say that's true, but Jay wasn't bad himself. The Blueprint 3 drops September 11th.

Kid Cudi - Call Me Moon Man
An unreleased Cudi joint, one that I'm not exactly sure is going to be on Man on the Moon, but that won't stop by from looking forward to it. September's looking good, Raekwon, Kid Cudi, Jay-Z, Megadeth, Dethklok (yes, I'm gonna be reviewing metal. Yayz?) This joint's like Mr. Solo Dolo and Day 'N' Nite, it's not your typical hip-hop song, but it's great. September 15th.

Royce da 5'9" - 8-11
Royce joins Crooked in releasing a track dedicated to hype up the Slaughterhouse debut. I have no idea what beat Royce is on, or even if he's on one, since the beginning features a woman singing "8-11... all must fall." Royce is my favorite out of Slaughterhouse, looking forward to the Street Hop album he's putting out this year (6 Premier joints). I actually prefer this to Crook's joint.

2Pac - Changed Man (feat. Big Syke & Nate Dogg)
I have no idea where this song is from or if it's unreleased as I picked it up when Ivan from Hip Hop Is Read linked me to it on Twitter. Anyway, I still don't like Big Syke. Never have, never will. Nate Dogg on the other hand, he's awesome. Tops everyone in the hook department. 2Pac sounds good, which he always did.

2Pac - If There's a Cure (I Don't Want It) (feat. Snoop Dogg)
I also got this from Ivan on Twitter. I prefer it to Changed Man. Whenever Snoop and Pac are on the same track, you know it's gonna be good (e.g., 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted). And, also, according to NahRight, 14 other unreleased Pac tracks leaked today (which I can't get, since it's on zshare).

There we go. If anything noteworthy drops tonight (like Joe and Joell's version of 8-11... maybe...?) I'll update it. Next review probably coming later tonight... depends, I'm on a roll at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment