Sunday, August 23, 2009

Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full (July 7, 1987)

Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full

While I'm on my Shuffle shit, I figured I'd begin the write up for the next review...

If you ever go on forums related to hip-hop or frequent hip-hop blogs or listen hip-hop, then you've heard arguments about the greatest of all time. While I won't mention the G.O.A.T. in my opinion (*cough* Rakim), an MC by the name of Rakim is frequently brought up.

Alongside his partner in crime, Eric B., Rakim was in, arguably, the greatest producer/MC duo of all time. The two dropped a total of four albums, before breaking up in 1992 after 7 years. The two went their separate ways. Rakim took five years to drop his first solo album The 18th Letter, which was accompanied with The Book of Life, an Eric B. & Rakim greatest hits compilation. However, it should be noted that Eric B. released a less known, less successful, less acclaimed album, creatively titled Eric B.

However, before all this, and before Rakim signed to Dr. Dre's Aftermath, and before Eric B. slowly fell into irrelevance, the duo dropped Paid in Full.

Today, Paid in Full is cited by many as "THE GREATEST FUCKING ALBUM YOU EVER HEARD." Placed on lists from "Top Ten Hip-Hop Albums", "Top Albums", "What? You HAVEN'T Listened to These?", it's not hard to see that Paid in Full is a fucking classic. It could be described as the most influential album this side of 2Pac's discography.

So I've pretty much given away the Conclusion, haven't I? Meh, read it anyway.

1. I Ain't No Joke
Produced by Eric B. & Rakim
You know you've heard this, don't play that game. You also this song fucking rocks. Even after 22 years. Eric's cuts on the horns are awesome. Simplicity can be good, sometimes. Example: the drums. Hit-clap-hit-hit-hit-clap, repeat.

2. Eric B. Is on the Cut

Produced by Eric B. & Rakim

Two tracks in an Eric B. gives us a DJ cut. Odd sequencing, but I'm not complaining, since Eric B. has always been my favorite DJ, excluding DJ Premier, though... sorry, Eric... it's not you... it's me.

3. My Melody

Produced by Eric B. & Rakim

This isn't actually the original version, this would be the Marley Marl remix. You can find the original on the Paid in Full deluxe edition in your local CD store now. The beat is a slow tempo, but it's still awesome. Clocking in at about 6:50, this song is the longest track on Paid in Full, and unlike most hip-hop songs clocking around that time, it doesn't drag itself out too much. When you listen to it, Rakim's rhymes seem to fly right by as you stand (sit?) in amazement, while Marley Marl's remixed beat slaps you around for good measure.

4. I Know You Got Soul
Produced by Eric B. & Rakim
This beat is just four different kinds of awesome. Rakim just rips the beat to shreds and then sits back and kicks your ass. Gaah, I love this song.

5. Move the Crowd

Produced by Eric B. & Rakim

The keyboard in the beginning had my foot tapping, which brings us into an(other) amazing beat, courtesy of Eric Barrier. Rakim kills the beat, too... but you know this. Also, MC means "master of ceremonies", not "move the crowd". But it's okay, Rakim, we forgive you.

6. Paid in Full
Produced by Eric B. & Rakim
Eric B. decides to namedrop their agent, label, etc. in the beginning, before stepping back, allowing Rakim to just kill this shit. After Rakim spits his shit, Eric B. decides to let the beat rock (with Eric B. trademarked cuts) for a minute and a half. I can't complain. The beat just fucking owns.

7. As the Rhyme Goes On
Produced by Eric B. & Rakim
"I'm the R, to the A, to the K-I-M, if I wasn't then why would I say I am?" I'm not a huge fan of Eric B.'s beat on here (I know, I'm as shocked as you are), but Rakim's rhymes propel it to a higher level. I'm gonna say that this song would be the worst song of the album, which is to say it's a damn good song.

8. Chinese Arithmetic
Produced by Eric B. & Rakim
Eric B. decides to give us another DJ cut, this time over a pretty stereotypical Asian sample that Eric B. somehow turns into an awesome deejay cut. Props to you, Eric Barrier.

9. Eric B. is President
Produced by Eric B. & Rakim
You've heard this. Why do you want me to review this? You know it's awesome. Can't I just say "AMAZING." and shoot some fireworks off? Yes, I can.

10. Extended Beat
Produced by Eric B. & Rakim
To send us out, Eric B. gives us an extended beat of "Move the Crowd". Sounds amazing here, as it did five tracks ago.

Conclusion:
My review doesn't do this album justice. There is not a bad song on this album.Hell, I wouldn't even say there's a decent song on the album. It's all amazing. When I first began this blog, my first review was Nas's Illmatic. I said it was my favorite hip-hop album of all time, which it is. However, I'd have to say that Eric B. & Rakim's fucking MASTERPIECE here is the best hip-hop album of all-time. You need to buy this shit. I love this album so much I'd like to become a Senator just to push legislation making it illegal for any hip-hop fan to not have this album. I guess what I'm saying is... BUY, BUY, BUY.

No comments:

Post a Comment