Saturday, August 1, 2009

Track Reviews #2: Crooked I, Eminem, Nas, Raekwon, & More...

For our second edition of track reviews, we have new tracks from an apparent DEA informant, an Albino, a hustla, a crook, a white guy, a Chicago native not named Kanye or Lupe, a legend, a chef, and a supergroup.

Let's go in.


Alfamega - Round One

Leading us off is the supposed T.I. diss by Alfamega, which Alfamega has said isn't true. And it doesn't really sound like a T.I. diss, so I'm gonna have to agree. It was supposed to be off a mixtape called 10 Round K.O., in which he would do 10 songs, each featuring a different flow. However, Alfa says he's not gonna release it because it would be misintrepeted as a T.I. diss. Diss or not, this is actually a pretty good track.

Brother Ali - Us
Here comes my first taste of Brother Ali, "Us" off the album with the same name which drops September 22nd. Brother Ali's flow is half-singing, half-rapping, all good. The track is relatively quick, as Ali drops 1 verse and moves on. However, I'm tempted to check out The Undisputed Truth now.

Cassidy - Ok, You're Right Freestyle
Oh, hey, Cassidy's still around. He hops on 50 Cent's "Ok, You're Right", produced by Dr. Dre to meh results.

Crooked I - 8-11 Part 3 (The H's on the Side)
Here's Crooked's third "8-11." This time, he hops on the beat for "Best I Ever Had" to good results. While I don't like it better than the second "8-11", this is a good track. I wonder when Crooked's gonna release the Mr. Pig Face Weapon Waist EP. And it makes remind myself to go back and listen to go and download one of his mixtapes. Oh, Crooked's new "Slaugterhouse" tattoo... lol.

Eminem - The Warning
You've probably heard this song by now, but I'm gonna talk about it anyway. This is Eminem's diss track to Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon, a response to the former's "Obsessed," which featured a remix alongside Ja Rule (who is still alive) and Gucci Mane (who still sucks). What does this track do ultimately? Well, it pretty much ends this lame feud... that is unless Mariah or Nick respond, in which case Eminem will presumably release nude pics of Mariah. Oh, Em talking about cumming over Mariah's stomach. Funny. Em talking about killing Mariah. Unneccessary.

GLC - A Gangstaz Nature (feat. Cold Hard)
My first listen of GLC without Kanye. Who the hell Cold Hard is... I don't know. But his voice is goddamn annoying. GLC sounds decent, but ultimately, I think I'm gonna delete this track.

Nas - Legendary
Picked this up thanks to Hip Hop Connection's digital magazine. They gave a free .mp3 of it with this description:
An exclusive from the top notch Tyson DVD, here the boy Esco gets into fight mode. Seconds out!
It begins with 40 seconds of orchestra shit and then the beat kicks in and Nas goes in. Great track... but I think I have this track already.
EDIT: I have it on the mixtape Nas dropped before Untitled. Still a good track.

Raekwon - House of Flying Daggers (feat. Inspectah Deck, Ghostface Killah, & Method Man)
So, first ?uestlove posted a radio rip on Twitter. Then the next morning, the clean CDQ version was on illRoots. Then later in the day, I found the dirty CDQ version on NahRight. Inspectah Deck leads us off with a good verse, but he's obviously not the main feature. As everyone's looking forward to the Ghost/Meth/Rae collab (let's hope that album actually pops up). Rae's verse sounds great, so does Ghost's. Meth is also good... overall, great song. Oh, and it's over J Dilla production. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2 drops September 8th. Can't wait.

Raekwon - Wu Ooh (feat. Ghostface Killah & Method Man)
I know I'm late on this, seeing as it dropped sometime around May, but I just got it last night... thanks to Hip Hop Connection digital issue #2. The beat's good, though I find myself sometimes concentrating on the "Wuuuu... ooooooh" every now and then. That may just be me. Rae, Ghost, and Meth's verses all sound great. That album they're thinkin about could fucking awesome, provided they get some get good beats (I heard they were thinking of making it pretty much all RZA production). Great song. Can't wait for OB4CL2.

Slaughterhouse - Microphone
Okay, so I lied. I had finished writing this and looking at the Slaughterhouse album on Wikipedia and saw that there was a track produced by The Alchemist
and I Google'd it and found it uploaded on OnSmash. So I downloaded it. Onto the song... the beat's good, featuring what I think is a Rakim sample (all I hear is a vague "microphone" in the beat). Royce, Crook, Joell, and Joe all come with hot verses making this my second favorite song so far (can't beat "The One"... or "Woodstock (Hood Hop)" for that matter, but apparently, that isn't on the album). I'm definitely copping Slaughterhouse on August 11th. And you should, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment