Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Slaughterhouse - Slaughterhouse (August 11, 2009)

Slaughterhouse - Slaughterhouse

I know, I know, I'm late. STFY.

Slaughterhouse is a hip-hop supergroup, composed of four artists who've been fucked over by their record labels. Joe Budden (who also dropped an EP today, titled Escape Route) was dropped from Def Jam after his sophmore album was delayed continously. Crooked I was dropped by Death Row thanks to two recorded, yet unreleased albums, blocked by CEO Suge Knight. Joell Ortiz was signed to Dr. Dre's Aftermath label and parted ways after having his album continuously delayed (he released one called The Brick: Bodega Chronicles on Koch Records, though). Royce da 5'9" came up with Eminem, but when Em blew the fuck up, Royce was promptly left behind. His debut album was heavily bootlegged and barely sold anything. He wrote for Dr. Dre, but was fired after Royce's manager revealed Royce wrote for the good Doctor. He then had a falling out with Eminem and got in a beef with D12. He also turned to alcoholism. All of those turned into his second album, Death is Certain, which is an amazing album.

Now, the four have decided to come together to create a supergroup that could possibly rival Wu-Tang (however, if Wu drop U-God...).

Joe called upon Royce, Joell, Crook, and another MC called Nino Bless for a posse cut called "Slaughterhouse." After sensing that they all had something (except for Nino Bless, who was promptly forgotten about in the scheme of Slaughterhouse), the four decided to come together as one.

August 11th, the Voltron of hip-hop dropped their self-titled debut album... and here it is.

1. Sound Off
Produced by StreetRunner

Royce's first verse is awesome. Describing each Slaughterhouse member as a part of the body. I do find it weird that Royce would basically say he runs Slaughterhouse, but none of the others seem to have a problem. All members (except Joey) begin their verse with a regular flow, before delving in a Twista-esque speed flow. Joey, though, begins it with the regular flow, and then alternates between a speed flow and a regular flow, and it sounds really awkward. However, every MC sound awesome. This is a great opening track, plus StreetRunner's beat is good.

2. Lyrical Murders (feat. K-Young)
Produced by Focus
Why did Slaughterhouse feel the need for an R&B-ish hook?

3. Microphone
Produced by The Alchemist
And this is why The Alchemist is one of my favorite producers. I've already heard this beat, back when Eminem freestyled over this (along with the beats of OutKast's "Chonkyfire" and Busta Rhymes "Respect My Conglomerate"). All four of Slaugterhouse sound awesome, making this my favorite song.

4. Not Tonight
Produced by StreetRunner
When I picked up the CD at Best Buy, I remember seeing "Featuring the Hits: The One (ft. The New Royales) & Not Tonight!" or something like that. I thought it was kinda weird, because I hadn't heard "Not Tonight" up to that point. While I personally would've replaced it with "Microphone" on that, this song is pretty damn good. StreetRunner comes back with another good contribution for a song that sounds borderline radio ready. Of course, this song leads into the first single...

5. The One (feat. The New Royales)
Produced by DJ Khalil
I have played this song so many damn times since it leaked. However, it took me a while to realize that The New Royales are Slaughterhouse's featured guests this affair. I'll be honest and say I haven't heard of them, except for one song which I got pretty much because I was looking for some Jay Electronica. But that's off-topic. This isn't about The New Royales or Jay Electronica, it's about Slaughterhouse's DJ Khalil-produced single. The group seems to open up the "Rock" section in the iTunes store and find ways to cram random rock references into their songs, but, somehow, it works. Despite the fact plenty of the bands they mention suck (Nickelback, Royce? NICKELBACK?!). I like Royce's verse, despite the fact it's short. The chorus sucks, though. If that's the lead singer of The New Royales (I forgot to mention that I haven't even listened to the one song I have), then you can count me out as a fan.

6. In the Mind of Madness (Skit)
I personally like to think of the "(Skit)" as "(Skip)", with Slaughterhouse advising the listener that this track is completely skippable. Thanks, Slaughterhouse!

7. Cuckoo
Produced by DJ Khalil
DJ Khalil's beat is crazy. This song was the second track from the album to leak (the first was "The One"). I have to admit, when I first listened to the track, I really, absolutely hated this beat. Which is weird, because I kinda like the beat for "The One", which was also produced by DJ Khalil. While, it's not the best on the album, and there are definitely way too many things going at once, I'll go out on a limb and say this song's grown on me. Of course, it helps when the lyrics are fire.

8. The Phone Call (Skit)
Skip.

9. Onslaught 2 (feat. Fatman Scoop)
Produced by Emile
Fatman Scoop where the fuck has he been (idea for Where Are They Now?: Fatman Scoop). Too bad he's completely unneccessary in the track (like pretty much every damn hype man except Flava Flav (looking at you Lil' Jon)). This would be the sequel to Slaughterhouse's first song together (besides the track from Joey's album, also featuring Nino Bless). And as such, I suggest you search the interwebz for the original, since it kills this version. The beat's better. The rhymes are better. The lack of Fatman Scoop is better. Yeah, you get my point. (By the way, did I use enough parentheses for this song? (No.))

10. The Phone Call 2 (Skit)
See track 8.

11. Salute (feat. Pharoahe Monch)
Produced by Mr. Porter
Pharoahe Monch drops by to drop a chorus... umm... okay. I'll never understand why MCs other waste good MCs on the chorus (Royce in particular, what the fuck was up with Em only doing the chorus on that one track from Rock City 2.0?). However, Pharoahe's chorus is pretty good, which is a fresh change of pace, since typically hip-hop chorus suck a left nut. I don't exactly know all the details of the Royce/D12 feud, but I know it's apparently over, since Mr. Porter would be Kuniva from D12. The beat's different from most of the others on here, which allows the four to spit fire with a slow flow. However, I'm still left wishing Monch got a verse.

12. Pray (It's a Shame)
Produced by ReaLsoN
This makes four producers I've never heard of. I also don't stand the unneeded capitalization in his name... but whatever. Joey sticks to the hook and Joell's verse is surpisingly uninteresting, as he spits (moar like slobbers) with a boring flow. Royce sounds good, but the surprise comes from Crooked I, who sounds the best on here. However, this song kinda bores me (or it could be fact that I'm really fucking tired and want to get to sleep... who knows).

13. Cut You Loose
Produced by Mr. Porter
Kuniva drops back with another contribution that serves as a song for the group to discuss their problems with hip-hop. Don't take this short track review for granted, this is a damn good song. I'm just tired and want to finish this review.

14. Rain Drops (feat. Novel)
Produced by Filthy Rockwell
I only know Novel through the fact he released a mixtape based around Kanye West's 808s & Heartbreaks, which I didn't download, but I digress. The beat's not very good. Slaughterhouse sound good... blah... blah... blah... I'ma head to bed. Night, guys. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

15. Killaz (feat.
Melanie Rutherford & C. Brown)
Produced by Emile
Oh, wow. The concentrated amount of shit in this one song wake me up. Fuck. This is a turrible song. Just turrible.

Conclusion: Slaughterhouse is a pretty damn good debut. While it wasn't as good as I hoped it was, it did live up to my expectations. I'm gonna guess we'll get a second album (guessing the title here... Slaughterhouse 2, catchy, amirite?) around early of next year, hopefully with some contributions by a DJ by the name of Premier. Just sayin'.

Coming Soon
Fuck, if I know. All I know is it's hip-hop (watch me switch up and review some Radiohead).

No comments:

Post a Comment